Social taboos could be a word, subject, or action that is collectively avoided or rejected for some personal, social, or religious reasons. Every country has a community or society built on either religious or social cultures and norms with some actions, words, and subjects considered taboo.
In medieval times people faced grave punishments, with possibilities of death sentences for saying a word, discussing a subject or carrying out an action that is considered a taboo against the religion, culture, and norms of the society. Apparently, in these modern times, people could face a social humiliation for breaking the taboo of a particular society or community anywhere in the world.
With all that being said above let’s jump into the common social taboos in Russia. It is important to know this, keep them at your fingertips, you definitely would need them while traveling in Russia as it will help you understand the Russian people, their culture and social lifestyle. Russia is a very beautiful country, lovely people, and fascinating aesthetic beauty.
The 16 common social taboos you’ll undoubtedly encounter in Russia
- Do not forget to take off your shoes when entering someone’s house except the person grants you permission to come in without taking them off. During winter people always wear on a winter jacket it should also be taken off and hanged at the shelf made available at the entrance of every Russian home.
- When Visiting do not visit without a gift, chocolates sweets or flowers, they’re not expensive.
- Never put your feet on the table
- On a date, do not let a woman pay the bills
- Do not make a caricature of someone’s parents
- Do not make whistling in the house; this is considered blowing incoming money away, making whistlings in the house is considered to bring financial issues and bad lucks.
- Do not let a woman lift heavy items or luggage.
- Burping up loudly in public is considered rude in Russia
- In funerals do not present odd numbers of flowers, it must be even.
- When visiting friends and families bring flowers with you. the number of flowers must be an odd
- Do not spill salt, this is believed to lead to heated arguments in the household.
- It is considered extremely rude to lick food off the knife.
- Do not sit on a cold floor, it’s believed to cause infertility.
- On public transports, you’re obligated to offer seats to disabled persons, elderly and pregnant women.
- Ones you have finished drinking a bottle of vodka, wine; do not leave it on the table. Place it on the floor. Placing on the floor is believed to bring good luck. Leaving the empty bottles on the table is believed to bring bad luck.
- Do not refuse a bottle of vodka as gifted to you. It signifies friendship.